Individuals desiring to be considered for enrollment in the Otoe-Missouria Tribe of Indians must meet the eligibility requirement of being descended from a Tribal Member from the official Otoe-Missouria Base Roll, dated October 14, 1966 and who possess at least 1/8th degree of Otoe-Missouria blood and he/she must not have received land or money, as an adult, by virtue of being enrolled as members of another Indian Tribe. Dual enrollment with another Tribe/Nation is prohibited.
The applicant must obtain and complete an enrollment application. This application will list all required information of the applicant. The applicant form will be provided by the Enrollment Staff and must be returned (completed) to the Tribal Enrollment Department and accompanied with the following required documentation:
Documentation to accompany all applications - Since the burden of proof is on the applicant, the application must be accompanied by the following documentation:
1. Family tree chart
2. Applicant's original state-issued birth certificate*
3. If the applicant's natural mother was not a tribal member, or if the Tribal blood of the father is required for eligibility, one of the following also must accompany the birth certificate:
(a) the state issued birth certificate must show the name of the tribal member father. OR
(b) a notarized affidavit of paternity signed by both the applicant's mother and father. OR
(c) a court order declaring a specific tribal member to be the natural father OR
(d) a DNA or genetic marker test (obtained at the applicant's sole expense) determining the probability that a specific tribal member is the natural father of the applicant to be not less than 97%.
4. Relinquishment of membership in any other tribe, band or Indian community of which the applicant is a member.
5. Adopted applicants - Additional documentation to accompany application of applicant who is adopted. In addition to those items above, an applicant who has been adopted must also submit documentation proving that a natural parent is a member of the Otoe-Missouria Tribe. Usually this documentation will consist of a copy of the adoption decree together with either the original birth certificate showing the natural parent(s) or a legal document identifying the natural parent(s). However, a certification from the Secretary of the Interior or his/her authorized representative pursuant to the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978 (P.L. 95-608) shall be conclusive evidence of the relationship to the natural parent(s).
6. Social Security Card
7. Legal documents are required for any name change, such as marriage license, divorce decree, adoption, and if different from birth certificate
8. Minor Custody Affidavit Form (if applicant is minor)
9. Consent for Release of Information Form
10. Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification). W-9 Form is required for ages 17 and over.
* If submitting an amended birth certificate, attach legal documentation
Applicant may request application from either of the following sources:
- Mail – All documentation mailed and received by the Otoe-Missouria Tribe must have the following brief statement shown on the envelope for Privacy Act purposes. On the front of the envelope, please state “Confidential Information”. All original (state certified) birth certificates and social security cards will be photocopied and returned to the sender by certified mail.
Submit request for enrollment application to:
Otoe-Missouria Tribe of Indians
Attention: Enrollment Department
8151 Highway 177
Red Rock, OK 74651-0348
2. On-site - Applicant can obtain enrollment application from the Enrollment Clerk at the Tribal Complex.
3. Website – Application can be downloaded and returned by mail. However, facsimile or email of the completed application and legal documents will not be accepted.
4. E-mail request – Please send e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Dual enrollment - If an applicant has specified that he/she possesses other Indian blood beside Otoe-Missouria blood, verification is processed to that particular Tribe/Nation to verify enrollment of the applicant. Dual enrollment between tribes is not recognized by the Otoe-Missouria Tribe.
Enrollment Committee - Darrell Kihega, Tribal Secretary, Enrollment Chairman, Melanie Harader and Alvin Moore Jr., Members. The Enrollment Committee reviews completed membership applications and supporting documentation. Once the completed applications are reviewed and approved/disapproved, the Enrollment Committee then forwards their recommendation (by Tribal Resolution) to the Tribal Council for membership approval/disapproval. Once the Tribal Council acts upon the resolution(s), each applicant will be notified of their approved/disapproved membership by letter and will be accompanied by a Certificate of Otoe-Missouria Tribal Enrollment or Certificate of Otoe-Missouria Indian Blood.
Open enrollment periods: June and December annually. The Enrollment Committee will review and act upon completed membership applications once during each of these months. Please note that membership applications are accepted year round. Applicants are encouraged to submit the completed membership application with supporting documentation as soon as possible.
The Enrollment Ordinance of the Otoe-Missouria Tribe of Indians, enacted by Tribal Resolution # 106893 FY-2010 outlines all the policies and procedures to govern the enrollment process of the Tribe. The Enrollment Ordinance was approved on October 6, 2010.
Address Changes – No address changes will be accepted by telephone or by e-mail. All address changes must be in writing by the Tribal Member or legal guardian of the Member. This can be done in person or by U. S. Mail.
Tribal Identification Cards – These cards are valid for four (4) years from the date of issuance. To renew or obtain the card, please contact the Enrollment Department Staff at the numbers listed below:
Telephone Numbers: 580.723.4466, Extension 104, 130 or 238
Enrollment Department Fax Number: 580.723.4445
Antoinette Hopper, Director, Ext. 104
Phoebe A. Miller, Enrollment Specialist, Ext. 238
Hayley M. Tah, Enrollment Audit Clerk, Ext. 130