Housing - Repairs
Financial assistance for repairs to the basic functions of the home. All applications for assistance must be approved by a committee(Housing Repair Committee) appointed by Tribal Council. All homes seeking to be repaired must be owned and occupied by tribal members seeking assistance.
- Amount of Assistance: The amount of assistance will be based on the project to be completed. The maximum amount of assistance for any home must not exceed $10,000.
- Eligibility time period: This is a one-time program. Tribal members may use this assistance until their maximum allowable amount has been exhausted. Applications may not be combined to repair the same home.
- Documentation Required: 1) Copy of filed Warranty Deed in tribal member applicant’s name; 2) Two bids or quotes. Bids/quotes must include the contractor’s or vendor’s TAX ID #, address, and telephone number; 3) W-9 from the vendor/contractor.
- Open to applicants (Tribal Members) who are homeowners 18 years of age and over.
- Repairs are only allowable if they are necessary to the basic function of the home, cosmetic repairs, or expansion project are not allowable. Examples of repairs NOT allowable: garage doors/openers, fences, driveways, gutters, paint, landscaping, porches, ceiling fans, etc.
- Storm shelter expenses are allowable and included in the $10,000 maximum for home repairs.
- Individual requesting assistance must satisfy or be current on any and all outstanding debts and payments owed to the Otoe-Missouria Tribe or tribal entities before Home Repair Assistance is approved.
- Applications for assistance must be accompanied by no less than two quotes or bids. Any change orders must be in writing and approved by Committee.
- Members may be reimbursed up to $500 ONE TIME for emergency repairs that specifically affect the health, safety, and welfare of the tribal member.
- Prior to any work being performed, contractor must submit the bid/proposal to the Home Repairs Committee. The Tribe will not advance more than 1/3 of the bid, up to $3,333.34. Final payment will be made only when repairs are complete.
- Labor charges will not be approved for repairs being performed by any member of the homeowners household.
- Availability of funds will dictate the timing of approved projects. All complete files will be placed on a waiting list. The Home Repairs Committee will inform the applicant of when the project will be funded and work can begin on the project.
- All contracts and agreements are between the homeowner and contractor. The Otoe-Missouria Tribe is not responsible for correcting unsatisfactory or incomplete work.
- Business arrangements, scheduling, correspondence, billing, or any other issues are to be handled between the homeowner and contractor. The Otoe-Missouria Tribe is not a party to any contract or agreement with any contractor or vendor, the Tribe is only providing an assistance payment on the tribal member’s behalf.