The Otoe-Missouria Tribe

The Otoe-Missouria Tribe

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What if my spouse/companion has the kids and I want them?

Custody disputed must be resolved in a court. The ICW can not participate in civil or divorce custody disputes or actions.

2. What is voluntary guardianship?

Voluntary guardianship occurs when a child is living with someone other than the parents for an extended time. The custodians must have a notarized document and consent from the parents or court order which say whom has guardianship of the child. Long term guardianship arrangements should be completed by court order.

3. What happens when I voluntarily terminate my rights?

Termination of parental rights is complete in a court order and it removed the legal bonds of the parent-child relationship.

4. How do I change my child custody order?

The parent must request a change in custody in the court that issued the original child custody court order. Parents may need to contact an private attorney. Child custody is not handled by ICW unless the child is a ward of the court.